Who should be responsible for enforcing data quality and data governance rules in your company? the IT team? Think again…
Traditionally the responsibility of data quality and data governance in organizations lays on the big shoulders of the IT team. They are the ones who set the rules and standards, They are the ones who should follow the state of the different indicators and They are the ones who are responsible to modify procedure and correct the data when necessary.
In the day to day life, the Business Users provide the IT team theoretic business rules and set of validation, and the IT team implements them. But what happens if…
- There are new rules?
- The set of validation evolved through time?
- There is an error with one or more indicators?
The GAP between the business needs and the actual implementation is TOO big. It will probably take a few weeks or months, and involve tedious change requests and designs in order to adapt a new data rule.
So, if the business users know the best how to make and adapt business rules, and are the most important to be notified for inconsistency with the standard, then why is it still under the responsibility of the IT? One possible answer can be that many Data Quality tools are embedded in the ETL process and require at least a basic knowledge with ETL and SQL. This is just a bit too technical for the Business Users…
Wouldn’t it be great if the Business Users could define and implement all the rules and alerts they want?
There are several criteria that need to be considered in order to allow Business Users to define their own data governance:
- User friendly interface that allows the creation of rules without the need to know SQL (or ETL) but simply by dragging and dropping the relevant elements.
- Web environment that allows them to adjust the rules and standards from everywhere and anytime.
- Reports and Dashboards embedded in the tool, providing a global and detailed view of the data health for each domain in real time.
Quality Gates supports this approach and thus many Business Users as well as IT team enjoy it around the globe. Providing business users the option to make their own data validations enhances satisfaction and maximizes the reactivity.